Having just got back from a spell in the sun, I must have been a bit too relaxed as I’m finding it hard to get going again!
Fortunately that’s not the case for everyone else, particularly with World Sight Day looming on the horizon for 14th October.
Anyone purchasing Focus on You eyewear is already making a donation to this hugely important event as the company makes a small donation to Vision Aid Overseas for every pair of spectacles purchased.
World Sight Day takes place annually on the second Thursday of October and falls under the Vision 2020 Global Initiative. Its aim is to focus global attention on blindness and vision impairment.
Did you know:
- Approximately 314 million people worldwide lie with low vision and blindness?
- Of these, 45 million people are blind and 269 million have low vision?
- 145 million people have low vision due to uncorrected refractive errors (near-sightedness, far-sightedness or astigmatism). In may of these cases, normal vision could be restored with eyeglasses?
- Women face a significantly greater risk of vision loss than men – two-thirds of blind people worldwide are women & girls.
- 90% of blind people live in low-income countries
- Yet 80% of blindness is avoidable.
The majority of information included in this blog has been taken from the vision 2020 website. For further information, please visit http://www.vision2020.org